The Responsible Plastic Pallet Company – has witnessed a strong increase in demand for its recycled plastic pallets as customers take their environmental responsibilities more seriously. Government’s plans to introduce a ‘plastic tax’ on plastic packaging with less than 30 per cent recycled content has made the moral case for using recycled plastic pallets a business case as well, says Jim Hardisty, Managing Director of Goplasticpallets.com.
This statement comes following the report issued last month by Imperial College London which recommended that the tax on plastic packaging should be set at £150 per tonne, to provide an incentive for producers to use recycled content in their packaging.
According to the Imperial College report, setting the tax at £150 per tonne of plastic packaging would encourage the sector to reduce the use of virgin plastic thus stimulating demand for recycled content, estimated to be able to provide three quarters of UK demand for products and packaging.
Commenting on the report, Jim said: “As plastic packaging suppliers we should all be looking for ways to reduce the amount of virgin plastic we use and where possible replace this with recycled material; it’s essential for the environment, and makes long term financial sense.
“This report by the Imperial College is already stirring a debate as to whether £150 per tonne is enough and whether a movable fee might be a more effective method for taxation. It will be interesting to see how the debate unfolds over the coming months.
“At Goplasticpallets.com, we are proud that 96% of the plastic pallets we supply are made entirely from recycled material meaning that they go above and beyond the threshold needed for plastic packaging; we will be working hard to maintain this. The remaining 4% of course are made from virgin material which is necessary for some applications, particularly customers operating in ultra-hygienic environments, where pallets may come into contact with food or pharmaceutical products.
“This year we have also taken our environmental commitment one step further by pledging to recycle each and every plastic pallet and box we supply to our customers. So far this year we have helped our customers recycle more than 134 tonnes of plastic waste.”
For help recycling your plastic pallets and boxes, call Goplasticpallets.com’s recycling team on +44 (0)1323 744057 or email your enquiry to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively to browse the UK’s largest range of recycled plastic pallets and boxes visit: www.goplasticpallets.com